Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Creating Daily


"Creative Doodling"

I have been following artist Alisa Burke for quite awhile now and have enjoyed her online classes.  She is such a talented lady and I have enjoyed learning how to keep a sketchbook, how to watercolor better and how to even carve my own stamps! She was also one of the featured artists in 12 Artsy Ornaments with Christy Tomlinson, and I created a sweet watercolor heart ornament.   She inspires you in a way with your art to be relaxed and comfortable with it, and to just go with it!  I like that.  Her videos are full of info and it truly is like having her right in your studio with you!!! I encourage you if you ever get the chance to take a class with Alisa, do so, you will not be disappointed!

This year, this brand new 2012 year, she started on January 1 an online class called Create Daily and I thought it would be fun to jump in the new year and follow along.  I have not been disappointed at all!  Each morning when I turn on my wonderful Macbook, ( just saying!) there she is in an email giving you a creative adventure for the day!  Something that doesn't require a lot of time, or you can take as much time as you want to, it really is brilliant!  I have watercolored, doodled, taken pictures and experimented with things I might not have if it weren't for this course.  She even talks about time management and cooking!  Being creative in your life includes every aspect of your life.  Each day is like receiving a creative morsel from someone who does it so well.  I have kept a journal everyday, cause I don't want to forget anything.  I have been inspired beyond measure, and it is only day ten!!!

We all feel the need to be creative in some way, if you can just take the time to structure your day so that you are able to play for just a little bit of time, you will be a happier and more fulfilled person.  Life is so full of demands, work, phones, computers, emails, life tasks . . . I find myself always yearning for more creative time.  I have been waking up earlier in the mornings, with my coffee in hand, I am headed straight to the studio to try and create before starting my job.  I can't explain it, I am happier, more fulfilled and am actually accomplishing work.  I need it and feel more at peace when creating my artwork.  It's an awesome way to start the day!! It allows me to then get through a demanding day.

In 2012, I promised myself that I would take the time to nourish my inner artist a little bit each day.  It has caused me to listen to more music and shut the television off!!  It is amazing how much more time we have without all the extra junk we throw into our days. Yes there is always the things we must do, but we can all structure our free time differently.  It is a beginning of a new year, this is the time to re-evaluate the way we do things and to change the patterns that took us years to form.

So spend more time with yourself, sip more cups of delicious tea, read more wonderful words, spend time with your thoughts in journaling and writing and get in that art studio!  Create what makes you happiest and find your own creative style, there is plenty to go round.  It is wonderful to see other artists and their work, learn techniques from them, but it is so important to find your own artistic style!  It will come, I promise you.  It does require spending time with yourself and something inside just clicks and you realize you created something wonderful all on your own without the help of the pros!

I wish you blessings in this new year.  Remember to nourish yourself, however that is possible.  I know I am a happier, healthier and more grounded artist when I remember to take care of myself.  Right now, for me it is enjoying Alisa's Create Daily, and I get a little creative nugget everyday!

My sweet watercolor heart ornament!


Happy a very blessed and creative week my friends!
Donna Lee

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, sister! It's magical to see your passion continue to unfold. Thank you for sharing!! I hope you will keep sharing as you go along, creating daily.

    I've been making art every day so far in the new year, too, and it has transformed my every day life. It gives me a haven, as well as lifts my spirit and allows me to be a better person in general. I can so relate to what you talked about in this post.

    Happy Wednesday. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, it's been awhile since I've visited the blog looks beautiful! It looks as if your year in off to a wonderfully creative start. I'm also planning to take a few workshops myself. Looking forward to reading about your new creative delights!
    Dyan

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you visited this post today ... please feel free to comment on anything you have heard here today. Your opinions matter to me!